Monday, October 8, 2012

hoover dam in a can.




Please don't read this. It isn't worth your time. Go read a book. 
Or something.
This post will soon be replaced with something... different.
It was the ball that everyone dreamed about being invited to, and I had been invited. The word on the street was that Life was invited, too. He was a fine, single fellow that all the ladies, married and single, admired. Life was going to the ball.

The ball was exquisite. Men and women were dressed in their finest apparel and masked personalities of somberness and poise, always giving compliments on others' apparel despite their true thoughts. Typical. There began to be a buzz throughout the ball room- Life was here and he was looking for someone. Not just anyone, but someone very specific.

I talked among old friends, discussing their latest accomplishments when I realized that Life was looking at me. Gracefully, he walked over to greet me and asked me to dance.

It was if I was dancing with an old friend. His voice was sincere and passionate as we talked. I never pictured this dance to ever come to an end. Time passed and I was completely unaware. That is, until I saw Death.

Death was never invited to these kind of socials, but always intruded if he desired to do so. He was staring at me. Feeling self-conscious, I began to hear Death's foot, tapping rapidly-  a morse code for me to leave Life's side. But I was too scared. Instead, Death came and tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to dance.

This dance was not like dancing with an old friend, yet it felt... perfect. It made no sense, but yet it simply couldn't be any other way. Then Death leaned close and whispered in my ear, "Run away with me."

"Death," I said, "It will be an awfully big adventure."



1 comment:

Nelson said...

Sorry, I didn't heed your advice. I read this.

This is great personification, if that's what you want to call it. You turned Life and Death into people and it was great.

Death asked me to dance. Then whispered, "run away with me."

Then the Peter Pan quote.

This was one of my favorites, by the way.