Sunday, December 9, 2012

lois and lucifer: a dance for two


I give up playing your stupid game. I'll never win. If winning gets me to Heaven and I'm pretty sure I am the deepest anyone can get in Hell.

But don't you worry about me because I don't mind it here. I smile and the devil smiles back.

Yes, I am in love with the devil.

Madly in love with a damned soul.

As a child I feared him. He was always a troublemaker, spilling all the finger paint in the art center. I vowed I would never love anyone who dared to be so terrible.

But then he showed me how fun it was to steal chocolates (dark chocolate, of course) from my mother's purse.

"Welcome to the dark side," he said.

It was the best chocolate I have ever tasted.

And when I turned sixteen he took me to prom, but that wasn't our first date. Our first date happened before I turned fifteen. The kiss he gave me made me weak in the knees. We didn't go all the way, but we went pretty far.

The night before my eighteenth birthday we made love till the morning light and you whispered in my ear, "Marry me."

Of course I said yes.

We lived happily down in Hell and occasionally came up to steal chocolates from my mother's purse.

-Lois Lane

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I love the first line and I love the picture. You're writing is getting more and more beautiful with each post.