Sunday, September 9, 2012

i'm growing to be human.


When I was young, my father would tuck me in at night, scratch my back and ask, "What did you do today?" I would then respond with the same three things I said the day before: "I went to school, I did my homework, and I played with friends." Every day was the same. Same old routine.

I was a robot.

Then I became too old and too cool for my dad to tuck me in anymore. I still went to school and did my homework, but I let my books tuck my mind to bed instead. Some nights I stayed up scribbling numbers on paper and punching equations into my calculator. Sleep hours became shorter. My daily routine was different, but still very much the same.

I was a robot.

Now I have entered a world full of teenagers functioning on no sleep, a world known as high school. Hard stares into the white board, ears trying to bring my mind to focus on what the teacher is saying. Focus. Focus pocus.  Hours of my childhood routine become more skewed and now I have more homework hours than I have sleep hours. I still go to school and I still do my homework. This time, my homework is what keeps me up, even when I am trying to sleep. My routine is different, but very much the same.

I am a robot.

Is it possible that maybe one day I will become human? Am I even the slightest bit human? Maybe. I feel as though I might be catching a glimpse of what it is like to be human. I want change, I want something new. Maybe that's what it means to be human. No more daily routines that go on for years and years. Maybe it's experiencing new things and going on adventures.

If you ever find out what it's like to be human, tell me. I would like to know.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Focus Pocus. I like you. And this. SO.